Qatargas awarded Saipem a contract valued at $4.5 billion to provide two offshore gas compression complexes for the offshore North Field. The award represents the largest single offshore contract by total value in Saipem’s history.
The North Field Production Sustainability Offshore Compression Complexes Project–EPC 2 is located offshore the northeast coast of Qatar. The scope of work includes the engineering, procurement, fabrication, and installation of two offshore natural gas compression complexes aimed at sustaining the production of the North Field, including two of the largest fixed steel-jacket compression platforms ever built, flare platforms, interconnecting bridges, living quarters, and interface modules.
The contract follows the early 2021 award related to offshore facilities for extraction and transportation of natural gas for the same field.
In September, TotalEnergies was selected as the first international partner in the 16 mtpa North Field South (NFS) LNG project. TotalEnergies will obtain a 9.375% participating interest in the NFS project, out of a total 25% interest available for international partners , while the national company QatarEnergy will hold the remaining 75%. The agreement followed TotalEnergies’ selection as the first partner for the 32 mtpa North Field East (NFE) LNG project. That project now boasts several international players including Eni, ConocoPhillips, and ExxonMobil.
Through its combined participating interests in NFE (6.25%) and NFS, TotalEnergies will add 3.5 mtpa of LNG production to its worldwide LNG portfolio by 2028.
Together, NFE and NFS form the wider North Field Expansion project to increase LNG production from the North Field, adding 48 mtpa to Qatar’s export capacity and bringing it to 126 mtpa by 2028.
The upstream part of the project will develop the southern area of the North Field with five platforms, 50 wells, and gas pipelines to the onshore processing plant. Downstream, there will be two 8-mtpa liquefaction trains.
Like NFE, NFS will capture and sequester native CO2 from natural gas production, and the plant will be connected to Qatar’s electrical grid.